Check back after the first of October for a detailed schedule listing session titles, descriptions, and presenters. (All sessions and events will be held at the Hotel at Old Town Conference Center in downtown Wichita, Kansas.)
Sunday November 5
3:00 – 6:00
KSDE Social Studies Consultant Don Gifford will highlight the Civic Engagement statewide mandate
Reception with free hors d’oeuvres and drinks
6:30 – 7:30
Awards ceremony with National Council for the Social Studies Executive Director Dr. Lawrence Paska sharing best practices and experiences from around the country.
- Gilder Lehrman Kansas History Teacher of the Year
- Kansas Council for the Social Studies Judy Cromwell Excellence in Teaching
- Kansas Council for History Education Teacher of the Year
- Kansas Geographic Alliance Teacher of the Year
- Kansas Council for Economic Education Teacher of the Year
Special screening of Dawn of Day: Stories of the Underground Railroad and Q & A with Kansas State University professor Brad Burenhiede.
Monday November 6
8:00 – 8:30
8:30 – 11:00
Keynote by Mark Schug, Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
11:15 – 12:00
Lunch remarks by National Council for the Social Studies Executive Director Dr. Lawrence Paska
12:00 – 1:00
KSDE Social Studies Consultant Don Gifford will share details about the upcoming social studies state assessment and provide an update on the new assessment model coming in 2020.
1:00 – 3:30